Monday 26 March 2012

Filming

I managed to do all my filming over two nights. The first night I filmed all the kitchen scenes, as these scenes just involved one person. I tried the create the hostile, eerie atmosphere by using candles, and old rustic props, however seeing as this was my home kitchen, there was kitchen appliances, such as a microwave fitted into the kitchen, which I just had to work around. However as there is no clear time setting, it could well be set in modern time, so it wasn't something I was overly stressing about.

Also due to the small size of my kitchen, I had great difficulty trying to get the best shots, especially full-body shots, as there was not enough space behind me, so I had to make do with what I had, and try to create the best shots possible. Instead I used a lot of up-close shots and a range of angles, including a sweeping shot of the kitchen and the bloody props
.
Creating the correct lighting was another difficulty, as I didn’t want to use full light, as it took away some of the atmosphere and tension, so I decided to use candles to create light and shadow, however I realised that it wasn't enough light to make things clear enough in the shots, so using a light underneath the kitchen cupboards, it definitely helped define the props and make each shot a lot clearer without taking any of the atmosphere away.

The costume and look I wanted the main character to have was a quite grubby, dirty look. I wanted him to resemble a character who obviously did not look after or care about his appearance, so using plain, dark clothing, and a touch of makeup, to enhance the shadow and dirt on his face, I believe I created a good look for the character.

The filming on Day one went quite succesfully, as i just needed to get a range of shots in one or two settings. After viewing the shots I captured on the first day of filming, i knew what needed improving, and what shots were left to be filmed, which was mostly the outdoor shots.


Day two of filming I had to make sure everything looked the same, especially the leading character. This I found tricky to do, as i could not remember what lights were on/off and what props were visual etc. Creating the outside shots again were hard, as the lighting had to be just right, however once it got to dark, you could barely see anything. However this did not matter in some shots, like the walking scenes, as you don’t necessarily need to see anything, you just need to hear. I also had difficulty getting actors for the second part of filming, as one of them fell ill, so instead I had to use my mother, which was really difficult as that character was meant to be a teenager. However I worked with what I had, and just filming from behind, you could only see her frame.

After finalising all the shots, and going into the editing process, I was rather happy with what was produced, however I'm still not overly happy with the final scenes, as it all looks a bit rushed and confusing. This again is somewhat due to the characters ages and maybe lack of direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment